- 2 medium eggplants
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 of a medium onion
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed (or the juice of 1-2 lemons, depending on the size)
- 5 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped (optional; garnish)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Poke holes in the skins of both eggplants in 2-3 places with a fork or knife.
- Place them in a baking pan and roast for 40-45 minutes or until inside is tender and the skin has loosened.
- Remove from heat and cool until eggplants can be handled.
- Remove top knob and discard, placing the eggplant flesh and skin into the pitcher of a high powered blender.
- Add all remaining ingredients except parsley into the blender and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust ingredients as needed (eggplants can vary quite a bit in size - you may want to adjust the amounts of all the other ingredients, depending on the yield of your eggplants).
- Garnish with fresh parsley. Serve warm or cold with cut raw veggies or whole grain pita chips for dipping.
- Keeps for up to 1 week in the fridge.
Recipe courtesy for Malina Malkani.