- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into small cubes
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup cashew butter
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, crushed or whole
- In a medium skillet, melt the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and saute until it is browned, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and bell pepper. Saute for 5 minutes more. Add the jalapeños, ginger, garlic, coriander, and cumin. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring to coat the vegetables with the spices. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, bring the broth to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add the cashew butter and whisk until it is fully melted into the broth, about 3 minutes. Add the sweet potato and tomato. Simmer for 20 minutes more. Stir in the spinach and cilantro, then remove from the heat. Season with the salt and black pepper.
- Divide the soup among six bowls. Divide the cashews among the bowls, sprinkling them on top of the soup, and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Haylie Pomroy